When I was three years old, my grandmother… Just kidding! Here’s the recipe:
- 4 or 5 big ol’ garden tomatoes (6 – 8 store-bought.)
- 1 green pepper
- 1/4 yellow onion
- 1 habanero + 1 jalapeno (This has a good zing to it. If you want “green-lid-mild” go with 1 jalapeno.)
- 1/2 tablespoon of diced garlic
- 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar (Or regular if that’s what you have.)
- 2 teaspoons ground cumin (Or cumin seeds if that’s what you have.)
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoon salt (Keep this handy, you’ll need it later.)
- 1 freshly squeezed lime
- 1/2 cup of chopped cilantro (If this tastes like soap to you, leave it out!)
First thing’s first, the ingredients above are just a guideline. I rarely measure and just toss in a bit of each until I get the taste to how I like it. If you don’t like something, toss it out. If you want to add something, toss it in!
- I use a Ninja blender, but literally any blender will work. Just make sure everything fits!
- Cut everything to manageable bits and toss ’em in the blender. (For example: I cut the tomatoes into 8 pieces first.)
- Squeeze every drop of that lime in.
- Put the lid on and blend until the inside looks like salsa.
- Unplug the blender!
- Dip a chip in there and taste it. Chances are it needs more salt, so salt to taste. If you like more of that cumin flavor or want it a little spicier, toss a bit more of that in as well!
- Plug the blender back in and blend again.
- Repeat 5 and 6 to taste.
- Now it’s YOUR World Famous Garden Salsa. Enjoy right away or put in the fridge for later! (Lasts about 2 weeks.)
Enjoy my work? Please sign up for my newsletter to receive updates on new stories and free content!