In the distant past, a masterpiece was a piece of excellent work that earned its creator a membership to some sort of guild or academy. Today it is considered an artist’s greatest achievement. A career-definer.
No, I’m not about to sit here and tell you how I’m on my way to greatness. That I’ve almost achieved a masterful manuscript and will be joining a master’s guild of writing excellence. Hell, I’m BARELY considered published at this moment. But I do want to list out some works that I believe are masterpieces with the hopes that you’ll get a better understanding of who I am and what makes me tick. The list is meant to be fun and I will continue to update it as I discover new pieces. Enjoy!
- Does this work stand out from its peers?
- Did this piece of work invoke a strong emotion in me?
- Did it make me think hard about the world around me?
- Had I ever seen/heard/read/played anything else like it?
- Do I want to see/heard/read/played it again and again and again?
- 1984 by George Orwell
- Kingkiller Chronicles by Patrick Rothfuss
- The Road by Cormac McCarthy
- The Lord of the Rings by J.R.R. Tolkien (Duh)
- The Short Happy Life of Francis Macomber by Earnest Hemmingway
- The Lottery by Shirley Jackson
- The Color Out Of Space by H.P. Lovecraft
- Watchmen by Alan Moore
- The Dark Knight Returns by Frank Miller
- Saga by Brian K. Vaughan/Fiona Staples
- Mad Max: Fury Road
- Portrait of a Lady on Fire
- Avengers: Infinity War & Endgame
- Watchmen (2019)
- The Last Man On Earth
- Fallout 3
- Halo: Reach
- The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time
- The Legend of Zelda: Majora’s Mask
- Batman: Arkham City
Music (Entire Albums)
- Kanye West – My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy
- Blink 182 – Self Titled
- Cat Stevens – Tea for the Tillerman
- Kid Cudi – Man On The Moon: The End Of Day
Enjoy my work? Please sign up for my newsletter to receive updates on new stories and free content!